Job Title: Trauma counselor/therapist
Pay: $25-$40/hour (commensurate with experience)
FLSA Status: Part-time, no benefits offered (potential to be full-time with full benefits)
Schedule: 15 to 24 hours per week (must be after school hours)
Travel: Some local travel required
Details: This position is slated to start February 1st, 2022
Summary: Youth Empowerment for Advancement Hangout (YEAH) is a Black-led, community-based nonprofit that works with teens and young adults in West and Southwest Philadelphia ages 15 to 24 who are impacted by violence. With a special focus on those who are labeled as having violent histories, YEAH acknowledges teens as the experts of their own lives and prioritizes pushing back against oppressive systems and addressing structural barriers that often lead to violence.
The Youth Empowerment and Violent Crime Initiative (VCI) is a program component within YEAH that focuses on providing holistic and culturally relevant community support and case management services to teens and young adults within the juvenile legal system. The main goals of this initiative include:
● Engaging and supporting teens and young adults both prior to release and when released from the Juvenile Justice Services Center (JJSC).
● Providing intensive support services as pilot programming to teens and young adults within the juvenile justice system to address victimization, gaps in services, violence reduction, continuity of care, and the overall well-being of youth related to culturally relevant behavioral health & restorative justice services.
● Providing monetary incentives in addition to training, community engagement, and psychoeducational workshops that improve the quality of life of teens and young adults in Philadelphia and build skills relevant to life and violence reduction.
● Connecting teens and young adults to sustainable services in and outside of YEAH beneficial to the individual based on their circumstance.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities: The therapist or licensed counselor will maintain a rotating caseload of up to 15 teens and young adults (total) to provide in person trauma counseling mostly at YEAH Philly offices. This position will also be responsible for conducting in home counseling in some instances, maintaining all documentation, and providing updates to YEAH staff related to treatment planning and progress. Hours of the program are after school, and candidates should be expected to work between hours of 4pm and 10pm unless it’s the weekend. Some teens or young adults assigned to the counselor may not be involved in the juvenile legal system but have trauma histories and have not had access to quality or consistent counseling or mental health treatment. While providing in depth therapy may not be the norm, the expectation is to provide at least basic trauma counseling to help young people manage emotions and begin to heal through traumatic life experiences.
Job Requirements: Valid driver’s license and ability to drive personal and company car required. Philadelphia residency within 3 months is required. Must be a licensed professional counselor, licensed social worker, or certified trauma counselor. Candidates must have a demonstrated background and expertise of providing trauma counseling or therapy to Black identifying teenagers and young adults; demonstrated track record of successfully building healthy and trusting relationships with young people impacted by violence; candidates should be detail oriented, have life and professional experience in social work, human services, counseling, a strong interest in social justice and the ability to grasp concepts around violence, race, and systems; excellent verbal and written communication skills, ability to submit well written notes within a specified timeframe; and excellent time management and organizational skills. Schedule varies based on caseload needs and candidates must be willing to work evenings. Those who identify racially or ethnically as Black or Brown and have been personally impacted by the criminal justice system or violence (directly or indirectly) are strongly encouraged to apply.
● Develop and build healthy, trusting, therapeutic relationships with teens and young adults.
● Provide individual counseling or therapy both in office and home setting.
● Provide weekly group therapy or peer support groups.
● Utilize different modalities to focus on managing trauma histories and mental health symptoms such as anxiety, depression, PTSD, ADHD, anger etc.
● Maintain documentation and utilize a case management database to provide qualitative updates on progress.
● Collaborate with other staff to provide updates for treatment planning or court dates.
● All other duties assigned
Youth Empowerment for Advancement Hangout (YEAH) is an equal opportunity employer committed to assembling a diverse, broadly trained staff. Women, minorities, people with lived experience, disabilities and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. In compliance with applicable laws and in furtherance of its commitment to fostering an environment that welcomes and embraces diversity, YEAH does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy and parenting status), disability, age, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status or genetic information in its programs or activities, including employment, admissions, and educational programs.
The above job description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and standards of the position. Employees will follow any other instructions and perform any other related duties as assigned by their supervisor.